- Pineapple slices 1 20-ounce can
- Brown sugar 2/3 cup packed
- Butter 1/3 cup , melted? ? 717 kcal
- Pecans 1/2 cup chopped
- Eggs 3 large , separated? ? 130 kcal
- Sugar 1 cup ? 470 kcal
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
- All-purpose flour 1 cup
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon ? 156 kcal
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon ? 1 kcal
- Cherries 9 maraschino
- Whipped topping, optional?
Classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake is a typical American cake with a stunning presentation and a delicious flavor. This beautiful cake is covered with creamy caramel sauce, zippy pineapple, and bright maraschino cherries.
Ingredients for Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This recipe has one set of ingredients for the cake and another for the fruity filling.
Pineapple Filling Ingredients
You’ll start this recipe by making the sweet and jammy cake filling in the bottom of the cake pan. For this, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Canned Pineapple Slices, which are sweet canned pineapple rings in syrup. Reserve the syrup for the cake batter!
- Melted unsweetened butter, which cooks the pineapple and allows it to caramelize in the oven.
- Brown sugar, for another layer of caramelized flavor
- Chopped pecans, a classic Southern American ingredient that adds richness and a bit of a crunch to this cake
Cake Batter Ingredients
For the cake itself, you’ll need a few pantry staples, like:
- Eggs, which you’ll separate into whites and yolks to make a light and airy separated sponge cake.
- White sugar, for a bit more sweetness in this dessert
- Vanilla extract, to add a warming note
- All-purpose flour, which forms the bulk of this classic cake batterBaking soda, for leavening the cake
- Salt, to enhance the other sweet flavors
- Maraschino cherries, which add a bright red pop of color to the beautiful pineapple pattern on the top of the cake.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Drain the pineapple rings, reserving ? cup of the juice.
In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter and brown sugar, trying to dissolve as much sugar as possible. Pour into a 9×9-inch baking dish and spread the mixture out in an even layer on the bottom of the baking dish.
Arrange the pineapple slices in an even layer on top of the sugar mixture. Sprinkle the pecans evenly on top of the pineapple.
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick and yellow with an electric mixer. Slowly add the sugar, beating well the whole time.
Stir in the reserved pineapple juice and vanilla.
Gradually add in the wet ingredient mixture, stirring until just combined.
In a small bowl with clean egg beaters, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
Pour the batter into the cake pan with the filling and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
Invert the cake onto a serving platter, with the pineapples facing up. Decorate with Maraschino cherries inside each pineapple ring.
The recipe calls for canned pineapple, which is the classic method for making this cake. However, you can use fresh pineapple if you like. Just cut the pineapple into ?-inch thick ringsBe sure to use a 9×9 inch cake pan for this recipe, as any smaller or larger won’t fit the batter properly.?Reserve any remaining pineapple for another use. You’ll need about 10 slices for this cake recipe.?Use a rubber spatula to spread the cake batter evenly into the cake pan.?This cake is best served warm. If you have leftovers, it’s easy to reheat for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave.